viernes, 17 de enero de 2014

Susan Sontag y Leo Strauss

INTERVIEWER: Tell me something about your education.

SUSAN SONTAG: All in public schools, quite a number of them, each one more lowering than the one before. But I was lucky to have started school before the era of the child psychologists. Since I could read and write, I was immediately put into the third grade, and later I was skipped another semester, so I was graduated from high school—North Hollywood High School—when I was still fifteen. After that, I had a splendid education at Berkeley, then at the so-called Hutchins College of the University of Chicago, and then as a graduate student in philosophy at Harvard and Oxford. I was a student for most of the 1950s and I never had a teacher from whom I didn’t learn. But at Chicago, the most important of my universities, there were not just teachers I admired but three to whose influence I gratefully submitted: Kenneth Burke, Richard McKeon, and Leo Strauss.

3 comentarios:

  1. "I never had a teacher from whom I didn’t learn"
    Chica lista.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Exacto, las chicas listas son las que aprenden incluso de quienes nada pueden enseñarle. De los alumnos inteligentes que he tenido siempre me ha parecido que aprendían a pesar de mí, pero no a mi pesar. No me extraña que incluya a Leo Strauss, lo sorprendente sería que, habiendo sido alumna suyo, no lo hiciera. ¿Qué le enseñó? Algo elemental: aprender a leer sin prejuicios y con rigor y espíritu crítico. ¿Qué más se puede pedir?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. ¡Oh, alguien que está agradecida a sus maestros! Esto ya no pasa. Ahora, como la moda es decir que acompañamos a los alumnos y ellos aprenden solitos, hay poco que agradecer. Yo también aprendí de mis maestros y, como soy maestra, espero que mis alumnos puedan decir lo mismo.

    ResponderEliminar

Comer desde el reclinatorio

 I En el tren de vuelta a casa. Hace frío ahí afuera. Las nubes muy bajas, besando la tierra blanqueada por la nieve. Resisto la tentación d...